Thursday, May 27, 2010

Do not covet thy neighbor's house

I guess when you have one bad day it kind of just naturally carries over to the next. That is why I am sooo happy this is a long weekend. Today I had seven kids on my schedule. For those of you who do not know, I do home care for kids in DC and sometimes Maryland. On a normal day I only have six kids but I wanted to finish early tomorrow so I thought I would add one more today. That did not work out. The hottest day of the year and everybody and their mother decides to come to DC. So by the time I'm on my way to see my fourth patient I'm already an hour behind schedule. Mind you, I had to get home by a certain time because Justin and I were picking out shrubs for our yard. So I cancel my second to last appointment and reschedule it for tomorrow. So much for getting out early.
My last appointment was an evaluation, someone I had never seen before. After I put the address in my GPS and start driving I realize I'm not going to be in my usual neighborhoods. I primarily work in the very low income areas of DC. Basically places you don't want to get lost in. When I first started this job I was very nervous and scared all the time. Not to mention that I stick out like a sore thumb because I'm the only white person in the neighborhood. But I got used to it very quickly. I did not have to worry about that in my last patient's neighborhood. Basically this was on the complete opposite side of DC and I had a nice relaxing and peaceful feeling driving through the old colonial houses and seeing little white children riding by on their bikes. I thought to myself, "man I wish this is where I worked every day".
Once I got inside I became even more jealous because there were boxes lying around the house so I could tell they had recently  moved in. I thought, "how come they can afford this place but I can't". Believe me, we looked it into it. Way out of our budget. I appreciated the brand new kitchen, the hardwood floors, and the crown molding. During my evaluation someone knocked on the door. It was a nice friendly old lady who lived down the street and came to drop off some cookies. I never got cookies from my neighbors when I moved into my house. Not fair. I want cookies. By the time I left the house and began to drive home I couldn't help by covet this amazing neighborhood and cute houses and wish that I had the money to live there.
By the time I got home I was ready to tell my husband that I wanted to move. I want a brand new kitchen, I want hard wood floors, I want crown molding, I want, I want, I want. But see that's the great thing about working where I work and why I believe God put me there and gave me this job. Most of my families live in 1-2 bedroom houses where kids sleep with parents or share a room with mom and dad because there is no other place for them to sleep. 6 member families in a one bedroom apartment. And here I am complaining because I don't have hardwood floors and yet it's just me and Justin in a four bedroom house. How dare I complain. God allows me the chance every day to be grateful for that which I have because I see how much others don't have. For whatever reason today I got to go see life on the other side and it made me a little jealous. I'm just thankful that I'm not in that situation every day because I can't even imagine how ungrateful I would be. I have way too much to be thankful for to be concerned with granite or stainless steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment